Should I choose an Audiologist or Hearing Aid Dealer?


Okay, you have finally decided that you need to do something about your hearing. You definitely want to hear the punch-lines, you really need to turn the TV down, and it would be nice not to have to ask your family to repeat things…but, where do you start? Who do you trust? The answer is your local audiologist.

Hearing loss can creep in slowly or happen suddenly. Balance concerns or tinnitus may accompany changes in your hearing. A diagnostic hearing evaluation will reveal if further medical treatment is needed before using amplification. It will also allow for discussion about your potential benefit from hearing devices and the creation of a treatment plan not just a description of the latest technology being advertised. Fortunately, Medicare, Medicaid and most insurance will cover the cost of an initial diagnostic hearing evaluation when it is completed by an audiologist.

Since audiologists are uniquely qualified to evaluate and treat your hearing where do you find one? You can consult a physician, search the web, or use the phone book. Look for an audiologist, not just hearing aids.

All audiologists can be licensed to fit hearing aids but not everyone that fits a hearing aid is an audiologist.
Many ads will refer to “hearing professionals”, “hearing care associates”, or “certified staff” but these terms do not guarantee you will be evaluated or treated by an audiologist.

The boxes below provide information on the credentials and scope of practice for those licensed in the State of Indiana to sell hearing aids.

audiologist vs hearing aid dealer

Latest Posts

EAR Spring Refresh Newsletter 2024

How Can We Help You Refresh and Renew? Your team at Elkhart Audiology Rehab is ready to help you! We are happy to clean, dry, reprogram and repair or replace your hearing devices. Not sure what you need? We can give you some ideas with a quick phone call but in...

EAR Winter Newsletter 2024

EAR Winter Newsletter 2024

If you voted for us this year, thank you! We are honored by your support and look forward to helping others in our community. Where do you need help with your hearing? Our caring team can help guide you no matter where you are on your path. As we move forward into...