Can You Spot A Gimmick or False Offer?
In store and online access to hearing aids is giving many people who suffer from hearing loss hope for quick-fix solutions. Unfortunately, many of the offers in stores and online won’t provide the significant help that most people need.
False offers that exist can be hard to spot, so we’re pointing out a few common ones we’ve seen.
- Buy 1 get 1 half off or Buy 1 Get 1 Deals — These providers are typically sales-oriented and care more about pushing a particular product than offering a personalized solution. We’ve also seen them inflate prices so they can offer the discount that entices the buyer. When you see these “deals,” shop around to make sure the prices that are offered are truly a sale.
- Limited-Time Offer — These discounts show up all the time on online ads. The funny thing is, you’ll see these “limited-time offers” week after week. So what’s really going on here? Companies are trying to rush people into making a purchase without doing adequate research on what they’re getting for their money. Take time to educate yourself on the products and services you need before jumping in on these offers.
- Look for “The Clause” — Everyone hates fine print. Often times, “low cost hearing aids” stack on additional fees that inflate the price without upscaling the quality of the product or service. Even worse, many times “low cost” options are advertised – but a majority of the population doesn’t qualify for the offer, and they’re immediately sold a high dollar option.
Avoiding Hearing Aid Scams
Fortunately, there are real hearing solutions available. Real hearing solutions may seem higher priced, but the fees aren’t hidden and the value of the provider and services outweighs the cost. Here’s how you can make sure you’re getting your money’s worth.
- Look for an audiologist to test your hearing. Audiologists have a trained approach to diagnosing hearing problems and providing recommendations to address your needs.
- Verify the hearing aid offered to you can be adjusted by any licensed professional – not just another store in their chain. You don’t want to travel 30 – 50 miles or more when you have an issue with the product or the availability of the provider.
- Be sure written estimates are provided with a complete hearing aid recommendation.
- Make sure the local office is open and staffed 5 days a week for your convenience.
- Ask if your provider can verify function of your hearing aids on-site using ANSI test protocols for the hearing aid out-put, gain and distortion, and directionality of your microphones. Electronic Acoustic Analysis measures are a gold standard for hearing aid function. Don’t settle for someone who only judges a hearing aid’s performance by asking you how it sounds.
- Be sure real ear measurements are a standard part of your hearing aid fitting. Real ear measures help verify the benefits of your hearing aids. There are many studies that indicate this specific test is linked to better patient outcomes.
Here’s the bottom line: you want value for your investment in your hearing. So don’t believe it when someone says that the advanced circuits don’t need verification, or that the manufacture software doesn’t require Real Ear verification to complete a fitting. Real Ear Measurements and the adjustments made based on the information make a vital difference even if they are not “necessary” to complete a fitting.
Hearing is complicated- see us to make your options clear.
Frequently Asked Questions About Shopping for Hearing Aids
Which Brand of Hearing Aid is Best?
- Phonak — Phonak hearing aid models are praised for their clear sound and ease of connecting with any smart phone. In addition, they have models that are optimized for battery life, strong speech understanding, and performance in wind noise — all of which are important for day-to-day use.
- ReSound — ReSound offers a hearing aid with the world’s longest-lasting rechargeable solution. In addition, ReSound is compatible with iPhones, smart watches, and their Smart App which offers more personalized settings.
- Signia — Signia’s Styletto model has an award winning design and offers Bluetooth connections to iPhones, iPads, and TV streamers. The Signia Styletto battery allows for a full day of wearing, and if that’s not enough, there’s also a portable charging case that makes the device convenient for people with busy lives. The latest programming offers a test that establishes how the hearing aids process your voice. This provides a more natural sound quality for your own voice, which is something many hearing-aid wearers want.
Is It OK to Buy Hearing Aids Online? What About at Costco?
In recent years, many big box stores like Costco and online suppliers like Amazon have begun offering hearing aid products and services. While they promote that they offer wholesale pricing and free checkups and tests – these “discounted services” should be called into question.
Everyone has unique hearing and hearing loss. These nuances must be taken seriously during the testing, fitting, and maintenance processes. No hearing aid fittings or purchases should happen before real ear measures are completed.
We’ve had many clients who came to us after being disappointed by the lack of performance, or service available at a big box store or an on-line source.
You can skip this disappointment by getting proper testing and fittings the first time. Contact us today to get started.
How Should I Choose a Hearing Aid?
The best way to choose a hearing aid is to get a comprehensive hearing evaluation that identifies what solution will work best for you. From there, it’s helpful to try on the recommended model to hear the difference better clarity can offer and see how the hearing aids look and feel.
Remember – if you don’t like how your hearing aid looks, feels, or sounds you won’t wear it. Make sure you end up with a product you love!
What Does a Good Hearing Aid Cost?
The cost of high quality hearing aids is about more than the products themselves, it’s also about the testing and maintenance. At Elkhart Audiology Rehab we offer un-bundled products and services as well as options that are bundled with 3 or even 4 years of worry-free performance. We believe every client deserves to hear better and will provide affordable solutions.
Is a Hearing Aid Covered by Medicare?
Unfortunately, medicare does not cover most hearing aids and hearing aid services are not unless the supplement offers a discount. This can be a huge hinderance for people who need premium hearing aids.
Elkhart Audiology Rehab offers a hearing aid subscription model that removes the burden of paying for premium hearing aids. This subscription plan removes the burden of up front costs and allows for easy budgeting, flexibility, and great ongoing care. Plus, we can upgrade your hearing aids every 3 years to keep you at the cutting edge of technology and peak hearing performance. We also offer 12-month SAC payment programs, and cash discounts, so you can pay your way at Elkhart Audiology Rehab!
Call (574) 262-3277 or message us if you have any more questions or want to get started.
Your Hearing Care Options at Elkhart Audiology Rehab
We carry a full line of hearing devices.
We can offer basic units that allow the wearer to hear better in quiet environments, like their home. These hearing aid models also make phone conversations easier to hear and TV watching a more enjoyable experience.
Our sophisticated units are revolutionary hearing aids that make decisions based on the sounds around you. They can identify when you’re in a car, at the beach, or in a restaurant. Then, they adjust their settings automatically to help you reduce traffic noise or the wind on the beach and still enjoy a conversation while driving or walking. You will hear the conversation at your table in the restaurant, not the noise throughout the entire building. The analysis of the sounds around you is more comprehensive and the subtle adjustments the hearing aid circuit can make for you can be life-changing.
At the end of the day, what we care most about is making sure your hearing aids are the right fit for your lifestyle. The products we offer provide the hearing improvement and the expert fitting services to ensure your devices are helpful and enjoyable rather than an inconvenient necessity.
Reach out to us today to get a free consultation where we can answer your questions about hearing aids in person. You won’t regret it!